Monday, May 26, 2008

Venice... the city of magic

Venice has been everything we imagined it would be. The first thing that struck me when we arrived was how absolutely peaceful and quiet it is here. It is amazing the kind of calm even a city of this size can have when there are no cars. Just a tangle of alleyways, bridges and canals. The city is beautiful... a stunning blend of decay and extravagent eras gone by. Every corner you turn there is another photogenic canal, with flower adorned windowsills and a peaceful gondola cruising along. It has been difficult not to want and stop to take a picture practically every two seconds. I am literally having to control myself otherwise we would never make it anywhere.

We got in late last night. Found our fantastic little B&B through a mess of random alleyways and dead ends. Then we strolled around the neighbourhood near our place... finding the most charming little osteria where we dined outside, next to a church on a platter of salumi and cheese, caprese salad and lasagna. All while an accordion player serenaded us... and no I am not kidding. It was your picture perfect Venician evening. We woke up early this morning to a breakfast of cappucino and freshly baked croissants on the rooftop terrace of our B&B. Then we were off to explore the Doge's palace, St Mark's square and the basilica, more random alleyways and neighbourhoods, to eat some pizza, gelato and 'Bomba Mix' fruit salads, to relax in a piazza over a glass of white wine, to get lost in a true Venecian neighbourhood, to partake in the locals passagiata (evening pre-dinner stroll) and finally to dine under the stars, while our feet absolutely ached and we chattered about the magical day in Venice we had just spent.

Tomorrow we're up early to go visit one of the little islands nearby called Burano, then we leave for Rome on the train at noon.

Venice has been the perfect, most charming and peaceful start to our adventure. Now I must hit the hay and rest my poor poor feet which are killing me so that we can get up early and do it all again.

Ciao!

p.s. I tried to load some pictures from today, but my card can't be read by this computer. Sad :(
p.p.s. Oh and mom... I know I have many mistakes in this post :) I'm running on very... very little sleep.

4 comments:

katei371 said...

Sounds amazing!

Anonymous said...

Wow Jilly that sounds like a perfect day. Literally perfect. I think you should take up poetry along with the photos...

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful adventure you and Keith are having! Your time in Venice sounds absolutely amazing and it seems like you were able to see and do everything you wanted to there! I love reading about the details of your European adventure! Keep 'em coming!

Marlene said...

I feel like I'm there with you, even without the pics. Sounds BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to see some of these shots. Happy travels!